Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Day 3: Morning Baking and making Salads and Soups

I got in to Schlotzsky's at around 8:15 a.m., like usual. This time I was assigned a different task to learn about and a different employee to teach me. His name was Josh. Josh is the baker at Schlotzsky's. You don't see him much, because he is kind of sectioned off and is done by 1:00 p.m. Every morning it is Josh's job to come in and bake small, medium, and large buns. Not to mention he has to do that for wheat, sourdough, and rye as well as the orders for catering. It is also Josh's job to bake the pizza crusts for the pizza. I got to help and experience all of these things, but the way that it was done was definitely different than I expected. We baked the items in the same order that Josh usually does every morning, because it is the most efficient. We started out with making the pizza crusts, because it was the least time consuming and the least amount of work. Josh had already made the dough and placed it into pizza trays (he said it only took him about 30 minutes) and did a slapping motion with the backs of our hands to even it out and push the dough to the edges of the tray. Once we finished evening out all the pizza dough in the pans, they were put into a machine called a poofer which makes the dough rise about 75%. The pizza dough was in the poofer for about 20 minute while we made the next batch of dough for the buns then the pizza went in the oven for 20 minutes. The pizza finished and it was time to make the buns. Each pan for the buns was sprayed with a nonstick spray to make it easy to flip the buns out when done. Each bun's dough is weighed to a certain weight, keeping them similar in size. The dough is put into the pan using a scoop and cut method which is very had to explain, but luckily I have a video. We made the buns for sourdough, wheat, and rye and by the time they were all done baking, and put onto trays to cool and be cut it was about 12:15 p.m. also time for my break. Josh's job was done for the day, so it was time for me to learn about a different aspect of the business.

I started shadowing Robyn around 12:45 p.m. when my break was over until the end of the day. Since one of the employees who usually gets all of the soups, makes the salads, and runs the cash register, Robyn was next in line to fill in. Every salad has it's own ingredients and every soup has it's own toppings. Luckily there were pre-made reminder cards which were laminated and in front of me, allowing me to make some of the salads on my own and get the correct soup with the correct toppings. This gave me a little freedom and allowed me to play a bigger role of working in Schlotzsky's. The day was slower than usual due to the snowy roads and the freezing temperature. Most people probably chose to stay in their house. With this being said, I had a bit of extra free time. With this extra free time, I kind of got a general idea of certain health codes pertaining to food. These being a clean work station, getting ready for your next order, as well as helping others clean their work stations. Free time is not meant to take a big long break, but to help others and saving time later by doing the work in your spare time. I was cleaning up counters, washing dishes, as well as changing the soup and items to make salads. Overall I found the day to be very productive because I filled my free time by doing work for others and keeping the restaurant clean.
Moving the pizza dough evenly around the pan

Scooping and cutting the dough

Flipping the pizza crust out of the oven to cool

No comments:

Post a Comment