Friday, January 23, 2015

Day 13: Finding Out Last Minute Necessities

Today at Schlotzsky's was basically the same as all of the others. Now that I have all of my goals done and learned all of the different parts of the restaurant business, I am just working here and practicing all of the skills that I learned. It satrted like usual, where Mr. Rukieh and I did the catering orders, then I put the ice in all of the soda machines and made sure that they were ready for use. After that I made all of the tea, sweet tea, unsweetened tea, and rasberry tea. The sweet tea and rasberry tea get sugar added to them, so I did that and stirred it. This is only the second time that I had dones this, and I found out later in the day that I did not stir it long enough. Amy, one of the employees went to make new tea and change the old one out, and when she looked into the container, there was a huge clump of sugar at the bottom. Luckily the sugar didn't clog the pipe the tea went through, but I am sure that the person who drank it first got a unpleasantly sweet taste. Even though I explained those things in a few sentences, they take longer than you think. It was 10:00 a.m. and time to make the sandwiches for the catering orders. Once we made the sandwiches, the lunch rush started around 11:30 a.m. I worked on this with all of the other employees to satisfy the customers, so they could get on their way. There was a little break inbetween the lunch rush, where I learned how to take orders on the drive-thru (this applies to all of the cash registers). I knew how to take the money and slide the credit cards, but I didn't know how to take the actual orders. Mr. Rukieh has new registers ordered, but they haven't arrived yet, so I learned on the current ones. There are a lot of buttons, and it is hard to learn unless you are working the register a lot, and then you just get used to it. Nikki, the manager helped me run the drive-thru register, and helped me out when I couldn't find the correct button that I was looking for. Along with the new registers, they are getting a new drive-thru microphone, which I am sure Nikki will be thankful, because the one right now doesn't use a head set and is so loud, it basically deafens you. After I learned how to use the register and the lunch rush was over, there wasn't much left for me to do for the day, so I sliced and packaged meats for the people working dinner shift could have them ready to use instead of having to cut and package it right before their shift starts.



No comments:

Post a Comment